Pork producers certified by AMA (Agrarmarkt Austria Marketing) produce pork of the highest quality standard in Austria (see more info below). What really matters to them in pig production is high performance, quality and flexibility in production, whilst feeding antibiotic-free diets and meeting the top demands on animal production from consumers in Austria.
3 most wanted characteristics in farmers by the public
1. 85% treat animals responsibly
2. 82% treat the environment responsibly
3. 77% produce food of high quality
(survey of 1000 people, Bauernbund 2015)
What does the AMA seal approval stand for?
Food products that carry the AMA (Agrarmarkt Austria Marketing) seal of approval
• Meet the highest quality standards.
• Transparency: It guarantees that foodstuffs can be traced to their source.
• Farmers, processing plants and retailers certified by AMA conform to standards, which are stricter than required by law and are monitored by independent testing centers.
• Animals raised and slaughtered in Austria.
• Antibiotics are only allowed for treatment and only with prescription from vets. If animals are treated with antibiotics withdrawal times are twice as long as what is required by law.
• The majority of feed comes from home grown cereals. Any feed supplements need to be bought from AMA certified feed manufacturers.
Number of AMA certified pig producers
Currently there are 1800 pig producers in Austria, that are producing according to AMA standards. The total number of pig producers in Austria is around 30 000.
Agriculture and pig production in Austria
The agricultural sector in Austria is shaped by small family farms.
The average farm in Austria has:
• 71 pigs
• an average utilized agricultural area (UAA) in ha per farm of 19.3 ha
• 14% have more than 50 ha.
• 34% of arable land is producing feed grain
(Federal Institute of Agricultural Economics 2011).
Out of around 132653 farms in Austria:
• 56% are part-time farmers
• 17% are organic farmers
• 80% are livestock farmers
• 23% are pig farmers
The current economic value of pig production in Austria is 860 Mio Euro (Bauernbund 2015).